Guidance for Completing Teacher Summative Reports in the NEE Data Tool
Now is the time of year when many evaluators are preparing and completing teacher summative reports.
In this blog, we’ll guide you through the process of completing a summative report in the NEE Data Tool.
Recommended NEE Summative Process
The following is a NEE-recommended workflow, but follow your school board policy if it differs from this recommended process:
- Complete all observations and scorings that will be included in a teacher’s summative. Make sure student surveys are closed.
- Schedule a summative conference with the teacher.
- Generate and comment on the teacher summative report. At this point, you can either click the white button to Save for Later or the gold button to Complete For Teacher Review (more on those buttons later). Keep in mind that teachers have 14 days after the gold button is clicked to login and click the button indicating they met with the principal to discuss the summative report.
- Conduct the summative conference with the teacher. If you haven’t yet, click the gold button in the summative report to Complete For Teacher Review.
- Make sure the teacher logs in and responds to the summative report to indicate they met with you.
- The current evaluation cycle is closed. A PDF copy of the report can be printed and signatures added, if necessary.
Download and print the Summative Checklist for Superintendents and Principals.
Generating a Teacher Summative
The summative report pulls together all of the data that has been entered for teachers since their last summative was completed. Depending on measures used in your school or district, the teacher summative report can include data from the following sources: classroom observations, student surveys, unit of instruction scores, teacher professional development plan scores, and/or specialist organizers.
To generate the report:
- Click My Teachers on the left side of the NEE Data Tool menu.
- Under the Reports section, click View Summative Reports.
- Click the teacher’s name.
- The summative report will appear on the screen, representing all the evaluation data that has been entered for that teacher since their last summative was completed.
- Scroll down to review the data, enter comments, make recommendations for reemployment, and indicate whether student growth expectations have been met. The reemployment question might not appear for some schools, but the student growth expectation is a required section in the summative report.
Video: How To Generate a Teacher Summative Report
Saving the Summative Report: Gold Button or White Button?
At the bottom of the report, you have two options: a gold button and a white button.
- Click the GOLD button (“Complete For Teacher Review”) if you are finished with the summative and you are ready for the teacher to see it, and you are confident they will open it within 14 days. (NEE recommends you wait to click this button until you have scheduled the summative conference, or you can wait until during the summative conference to click it if you’d rather talk to the teacher first.) When you click Complete For Teacher Review, the summative will be locked and further editing cannot occur. Clicking the gold button closes/ends the data cycle for that teacher. Any new data entered will go on the teacher’s next summative evaluation. The summative report will be available immediately for the teacher to view and comment on. The teacher has 14 days to login to respond to a completed summative evaluation. If the teacher does not open the summative within the 14-day window, the summative will close without teacher comment and the “we met” box will be automatically checked “no.”
- Click the WHITE button (“Complete Later”) if you want to be able to edit the summative later OR if you have not yet scheduled the summative conference with the teacher. The white button saves the report for later additions or changes, including adding more data and comments. NEE recommends that you use this button until you have at least scheduled the summative conference, so you can be sure the teacher will respond within 14 days.
Don’t forget! At some point, you need to click the gold button to Complete For Teacher Review. Otherwise, the teacher cannot respond and the data cycle will not close. Opening the summative, saving it as a PDF, and/or clicking the Complete Later button will NOT close the data cycle in the NEE Data Tool. If Complete For Teacher Review is not clicked, the data cycle will remain open and the data will carry over onto the following year’s summative.
Video: How To Save a Teacher Summative Report
Summative Status Report
Consider the Summative Status Report your “home base” for summative evaluations. Once you have started a summative report for a teacher, that teacher will show up in this report. The Summative Status Report is designed to help district-level administrators and evaluators track the progress of teacher summative reports. This report can be viewed in Excel, if desired.
Tip: In order for teachers to show up in the Summative Status Report, open teacher summative reports through the “My Teachers” menu. For each teacher who will be evaluated, leave a comment such as “open summative.” Then click the WHITE button (“Complete Later”) to save the report without completing it. Now the teacher will show up in your Summative Status Report, where you can easily open and edit summative reports.
To view the Summative Status Report, click Status Reports on the left side of the NEE Data Tool menu. When the dropdown appears, click Summative Status.
Video: How To Access the Summative Status Report
Unlocking the Summative
Once a summative has been completed for teacher review, only individuals with district-level access can unlock a summative report, and only certain sections of the report can be edited. Only use the “unlock” feature if you need to change the Reemployment selection, the Growth in Student Learning selection, or the Supervisor Comments section.
If you need to add additional scorings or data, do NOT use the Unlock feature. Please contact NEE Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For individuals with district-level access, you can unlock summative reports under the Status Reports section on the left-side menu. When the dropdown appears, click Summative Status. Locate the teacher’s name, and click the Unlock button under the Action column. Keep track of any reports you unlock so you can check to be sure they are completed a second time. Unlocked summative reports that are not re-completed will cause problems with your data in the following school year.
This method can also be used to reset the 14-day window for a teacher to login to respond to the summative.
The evaluator can make the necessary changes and then must click the Complete for Teacher Review button again.
If a summative report needs to be deleted, contact NEE Customer Support at email@example.com.
What Could Go Wrong? How to Avoid Common Mishaps
Mishap: You printed the summative without saving it or completing it.
Sometimes, evaluators open the summative, add comments, print it as a PDF – all without clicking Complete For Teacher Review or Complete Later. Without clicking one of those buttons, the comments you wrote will not be recorded and saved. Make sure to click one of the buttons in order generate the summative and save your work. Another reminder: Click Complete For Teacher Review when you do not anticipate any further edits (and you have at least scheduled the summative conference within 14 days), and click Complete Later to save and edit the report later.
Mishap: You never clicked “Complete For Teacher Review.”
If you never click the gold button to Complete For Teacher Review, the summative will not actually be closed, and the data will roll over to the next school year.
Mishap: The 14-day window closes before a teacher responds.
Once a summative is completed by an evaluator (i.e. when you click the gold button to Complete For Teacher Review), the teacher has 14 days to login and respond. If a teacher does not respond within 14 days, the summative will automatically close and the report will show that the teacher didn’t comment and the “we met” box will be automatically checked “no.” For this reason, NEE recommends that you at least schedule the summative conference for within 14 days before you click Complete For Teacher Review.
Mishap: You complete a teacher’s summative and then try to complete an observation on the same day.
When you complete a summative report, it ends the current data cycle, BUT the new data cycle doesn’t start until the following day. So, you cannot do a new observation on the same day that you end a data cycle.
Completing summative reports can be a tedious, time-consuming task, but NEE tries to make this process as simple as possible by using data that has been collected over the course of the year. Use the Summative Status Report to your advantage. It keeps teachers organized in a single view so you can easily keep track of what needs to be completed.
The superintendent or a designated district-level employee should ensure a summative report was completed for each teacher who was scheduled to receive one. While some district policies require summative evaluations for teachers every two or three years, other districts complete summative reports for every teacher every year. It is important to note that if a district wants a new data cycle to begin each school year, a summative evaluation should be completed for every teacher every year.
If you have any questions or need additional support as you are completing summative evaluations, please email NEE Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (844) 793-4357.